We recently have been looking for a new church home. Last year we moved about 45 minutes from our former church and have had difficulty finding a church that I feel would be the best place for my family. After visiting several churches I have a few clarifying questions:
- What is essential? I have asked myself this question repeatedly, what are my core beliefs? It's a very healthy question. Why do I believe what I believe?
- Does the congregation teach the Gospel? Jesus Died for our Sins, Buried, Raised, and Appeared. See 1 Corinthians 15:1-6
- What is their view on Baptism? The straightforward reading of the New Testament shows people believing and then being baptized. Baptism was their first act of faith, is was how they came in contact with the forgiving blood of Christ. When people became believers the New Testament says they were baptized. (see some examples)
- What about the music? I come from an a capella heritage so rock music during a church assembly would take some getting use to. This question however is not one of the essentials. Music is just a preference for me.
- Is the church friendly? How is the welcome? Are people reaching out to visitors or more inward focused.